Saturday, January 06, 2007

A kind of preamble

Well, I was going to set up a new blog so that I could write about my progress learning viola, as an adult beginner but then I remembered that I actually did have a blog, seldom updated, so why add to the enormous volume of blogs created and abandoned?

I took up viola last year, encouraged by my friend **must remind myself how to do links** Erin. I joined ELLSO (the East London Late Starters Orchestra) and a couple of months later I was playing my first *embarrassed cough at using inappropriate lingo* gig, which several friends were kind enough to attend (and not laugh at, at least not out loud, although some people thought that I might have been MIMING but I swear that every one of those open string-notes I was meant to play, I did play).

Since then, I've bought my own viola from eBay and I've been practising pretty much daily, but I do need to find a teacher somewhere in West London before too many bad habits are ingrained.

I've also dug out the piccolo I, um, borrowed from high school and never took back (it's been 16 years since I left high school, probably a bit late and bit far to take it back now). And I'm thinking of getting some kind of piano, which I can play a bit but would like to play much better.

Right now, I've just taken down all the Christmas decorations, I'm watching QPR fans walking up the road to their game, wondering why I so often don't take proximity to a football ground into account when I move flats in London. I'm also avoiding doing work, even though it's Saturday, but I work as a freelance journalist and my time management isn't always what it could be.

I might make a cake to avoid work even further. I guess I'm bound to end up mentioning cooking quite a bit, seeing as I do quite a bit of it. When you can bake, it's always amusing how people are astounded if you give them some cake that you've made. They sometimes act as if you've just performed a minor miracle. And while I sometimes like to view the fact of baking powder and warmth and liquid all reacing together to make cake as a kind of magic (no, I've never studied chemistry), I also don't really understand how people can't follow a recipe.

UPDATE - The cake is lemon syrup cake from Gary Rhodes and I should buy some skewers because I've wanted one several times since I moved here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home